Thursday 15 December 2016

Bowl of Colours

"The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love colour the most."
~ John Ruskin



Today I noticed these clay pots in the Pooja room - the one I had used for growing Jau (जौ ) during Navraatra. But for the religious sentiments, they seemed to be of no use to me. They are not deep enough to grow plants. Also they seem to have a balancing issue hence they tend to topple to one side. Their lack of aesthetic value only reduced the possibility of recycling them, further!

An evening with no other engagements seemed perfect to indulge in colours. Here goes John Ruskin on the clay pots then!

Since the clay pots did not have much use I decided to paint them "bottoms up" which would even tackle the balancing issue. I cleaned the surface with a wet cloth and started off by making random geometric patterns on the back side. Next I picked up three bright shades of Blue, Yellow and Orange, and the result is there for you to see [Figure 1].


Figure 1

The second pot I kept the Orange (for the sake of continuity, in case I place them together) and added Pink and Green as the other two shades. [Figure 2].

Figure 2

I outlined each pattern as the final finishing touch and ended up with a vibrant piece of clay [Figure 3], supposedly a bowl, but painted on the back. I loved the final result but I was not very sure where was I going to use them. 

Figure 3

I had several options though. I could use both the pieces in my balcony garden, as wall pieces, amidst a dash of green. The pieces are such fiery bowl of colours that they would just brighten up any place they were put in! Aah that's interesting. Let me try doing just that!

I have this cream and gold wall - the painting from my "Benares" series. An off-white and gold Meera Bai placed amidst two antique boxes, again in cream, brown and gold, together make it all a li'l monotonous. So I decided to place one of the coloured bowls in this setting [Figure 4].

 Figure 4

The photographs do not do full justice but it really lifts up the mood in real! A zoomed in version [Figure 5] might give a better idea.

 Figure 5

A dash of my favourite spider plant in a pot of gold, completes the look!



 "When people show you their true colours don't get mad, paint a beautiful mural of life lessons and keep marching forward."


©Fursatnama 


Please don't forget to give your feedback through your comments below this blog. It will help me in many ways. If you like my posts do share and follow.

6 comments:

  1. You amaze me with every post of yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are love, and a great motivation for me! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. Great work done..though Mira Bai seems almost lost in the process.. emphasis shifted to new additions.. very well improvised..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no Meera Bai remains focussed on her Ektaara, rendering bhajans and hence hard to be missed!

      Delete
  3. But the viewer's attention is captured by brigher things around Meera..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I have shifted the focal point to my vibrant ball/bowl of colours na.. :)

      Delete