Sunday 5 February 2017

Connecting the Dots...



What does one do when one's Sunday-picnic plan gets cancelled at the last minute, due to "unavoidable circumstances," while every one else's plan remains intact? Surprisingly enough I was quite happy about this rare treat of staying home, all by myself!

To make it perfect, the FM player was tuned to the favourite channel, a big cuppa of adrak-waali-chai organized and the laptop adjusted in my lap. It seemed like a perfect day to tell a story via Fursatnama! While contemplating between the "plots" of various story-telling options I had, the words of Douglas Coupland surfaced out of nowhere,

"Story telling is ultimately a creative act of pattern recognition. Through characters, plot and selling, a writer creates places where previously invisible truths become visible. Or the storyteller posts a series of dots that the reader can connect." 

The last sentence got stuck in my head - "Or the storyteller posts a series of dots....!"

Eureka! 

A series of dots it shall be!

Today's blog is all about connecting the dots through invisible links. I decided to work on an empty coffee-bottle - the empty "plot" literally, and create something that should "connect the dots" of a decor setting.

To start with, the coffee jar was given a makeover of sorts, using solvent-based glass colour. This was an easy trick to colour the glass, giving it a nice yellow tinge.



Next I used the back of a pencil, dipped in different shades of acrylic colour, to create the dots in a simple pattern. The colours were chosen, keeping in mind a specific purpose of the end product. Once done, I let it dry completely.



Lastly, I wrapped a jute string at the mouth of the bottle using some glue. This was given a coat of purple, to give it a finished look. I had a beautiful multi-purpose glass ready with me now. This could be used as Tea-light holder, a flower vase or a candle-stand!

The shades of the dots were chosen to make it a connecting piece for the bedroom decor which had silver/gray, cream/gold and purple/mauve as the three primary colours in its setting. 


As you can see in the picture below, the individual colours of the background were all connected by the colour scheme of this one piece, when I placed it at the footboard stool, along with some cream and gold tea-light holders and a lamp in the same hue:


I tried setting it up on the night-stand, with a mauve scented candle and was so happy to see the result:


 When I started off with this activity I had no idea what it would lead to but somehow I had a gut feeling that at the end of it all, something worthwhile will turn up for sure. Reminds you of the famous words of Steve Jobs on "connecting the dots"  - "You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect the dots looking backwards. So you have to trust the dots will somehow connect in your future, You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."

What you see below is an affirmation of  what mister Jobs said!



©Fursatnama 


Please don't forget to give your feedback through your comments below this blog. It will help me in many ways. If you like my posts do share and follow.

5 comments:

  1. results are really beautiful, why not give the same "dot" treatment to lower half of the large candle stand on the left .. ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks so nice. I live that light yellow effect..

    ReplyDelete